A recent High Court decision has sounded a wake-up call for school leaders and principals all around Australia on the importance of workplace safety measures in schools.
A primary school teacher was injured after she slipped off a two-step ladder whilst removing displays from her classroom pin-up board. The High Court determined that it was open to infer that the school could have taken steps to eliminate or control the risk of injury which eventuated.
The school had not issued the teacher with any instructions as to how she should go about the task and although the school had a document relating to manual handling and risk assessment, the school could not evidence that the teacher had any knowledge of the document.
Schools are busy places, and mandatory training to ensure legislative compliance:
- takes up time and resources that could otherwise be directed at educating our youth or advancing the professional development of teachers in their specific learning areas; and / or
- gets neglected because training processes are time-consuming and usually documented and presented in a non-user-friendly form and filed away somewhere—which puts both schools and teachers at risk.
Creating awareness of compliance and the latest workplace safety requirements is what Velpic and Mills Oakley are intending to do.
We’ve combined the expertise of lawyer Kate Walawski (Special Counsel in Workplace Relations, Employment and Safety law at Mills Oakley, Australia’s fastest growing law firm for four consecutive years) with Velpic, a next-generation cloud-based learning management system that’s disrupting the multibillion-dollar global LMS marketplace.
With the use of Velpic’s platform, schools can easily deliver and record workplace training whilst easing the administrative and financial burden.
Here are a few benefits:
- Quickly obtain up-to-date professional training videos on workplace safety and other legislative requirements relevant to Australian schools.
- Create or customise your own dynamic training content without requiring technical qualifications in video production, or relying on specialist suppliers.
- Schedule, track and manage training better by automating or streamlining training processes for specified individuals and groups.
- Deliver engaging eLearning content and let teachers and other staff consume training on mobile, laptop and desktop devices, at one seating or in multiple microlearning stints.
- Report on training outcomes and searchable records with full version control from one central location that’s accessible via a password-protected secure Internet portal.
- Facilitate a new level of knowledge sharing to simplify training, increase learning, improve performance, and accelerate success.
In my next blog, I’ll illustrate how we make this happen in the case study of a primary school in Victoria that has embraced our expertise to transform the way they train.
For schools only: Access made simple
Schools can now leverage Velpic’s full flagship services and Mills Oakley’s ongoing expert content in our Schools Pack—at a fraction of both our commercial offerings for a single annual fee—because we know this game-changing strategy can transform the way your school conducts workplace training to minimise its exposure to legal liability.
Webinar - Classrooms: Hazardous playgrounds for teachers?
What schools must do to minimise their exposure to legal liability
To find out what you must do to protect both your school and your staff, click on the botton below.