Anyone can create a simple presentation, but how do you stop yourself from boring your audience with ‘death by PowerPoint’?
Increasing the effectiveness of online learning is altogether different. Video is the key!
Why create eLearning videos?
It is great for your business in so many ways. People love video; YouTube is the second most visited website in the world, surpassed only by Google.
If given the choice to learn by watching rather than reading, most of us will go with the screen.
Creating an eLearning video is not as complicated as you think.
As a designer and video producer, I have first-hand experience of the effort required in the traditional video production process, compared to the ease with which an eLearning video can be created using a smart cloud-based platform like Velpic.
Let me share my recipe for making epic eLearning videos!
Your audience will thank you because it helps them learn more effectively.
Here are the 10 ingredients:
1. Plan your strategy: create a script
First, map out your entire eLearning presentation or slideshow. The script is key, as it will help you stay on-topic and omit unnecessary details.
- Develop a plan for each slide and decide which elements to include. A mind map or storyboard can help you with this creative process.
- Determine the flow and pace of the lesson, so that you can design the eLearning experience around this structure.
2. Focus on learning goals
Keep learning objectives in mind, so that you tailor every aspect of the video to helping learners achieve their learning goals.
This helps you decide:
- What text and images to feature on the slides,
- What to say in your voiceover,
- What type of background music to use,
- Which videos, links or documents to include.
3. Use high quality, relevant images
Great artwork or photos make your video more engaging and immersive.
- Pick images that are on-topic. Don’t just use graphics for the sake of using graphics, or too many images on the same slide.
- Always ensure that you own the rights to the photo, or opt for royalty-free images from sites like pexels.com and pixabay.com.
4. Keep branding consistent throughout
The different slides of your eLearning video shouldn’t look as though they have been designed by different people. Cohesive design is vital as it prevents learners from becoming confused. Check that the colours, fonts, branding, and overall design flow well and are consistent throughout the video. Keep text clear and succinct
5. Keep text clear and succinct
Lengthy paragraphs and run-on sentences will confuse or bore learners.
- Write words to be spoken, not read.
- Keep sentences short and skimmable with subheading and bullet points.
- Edit mercilessly, organise points well, and omit details.
- Refrain from repeating text already presented verbally, unless it’s a key point that needs emphasis.
6. Add MP3 Audio and MP4 video
MP3 audio and MP4 video integration is important for making your eLearning video more dynamic and interactive. Narration, background music, and video explanations are the golden ingredients for the perfect online training video.
7. Apply magical transitional effects
Static images are boring. To bring your training to life and give it a professional feel, add movement to your slides through the magic of animation or transitional effects.
- Note that transitional effects can be risky, as movement may distract the audience from your message.
- Keep animation effects simple and understated, such as Appear, Fade, Dissolve, and Wipe, which do not distract learners from the message you want to deliver. Save the crazy motion effects for entertaining yourself or your friends.
8. Add helpful links
Include links to articles, reference sites, and other web resources to expand the learning experience beyond the video. Help learners save time. Don’t make them scour the Web for these resources but direct them to specific helpful sites. In Velpic, this is called the Hot Link.
9. Include powerful infographics
Infographics are a powerful tool to help your content cut through the information jungle and reach your target audience's brains.
- Infographics make ordinary text more visually appealing to attract more attention.
- It's hard to communicate abstract and complicated concepts with graphics alone, so combine text with graphics takes advantage of each medium’s strengths.
10. Wrap up with a recap quiz
At the end, include an interactive recap via a quiz to help learners remember better.
- Add a recap screen after every chapter to summarise concepts.
- Let them take a quiz to commit the information to memory, and not forget it as soon as they exit from your video.
Ta da! Congratulations, with these 10 ingredients, you have created an epic eLearning video.
After going through your testing, review and approval process, all that’s left to do is to click a button to render the video for publishing. Too easy.
Now you can serve up an epic eLearning video to nourish learning brains. Enjoy!